We live in a virtual world, where technology is the order of the day. New day, new technology. Apart from the youth and tech-savvy generation, there is another age group that has a high need for technology products, to live safely and conveniently. I’m talking about seniors or old folk, as we may love to call them.
Apart from regularly monitoring them for chronic health conditions, and helping them get to the clinic for check-ups, these elderly people have domestic needs which must be met to help them live well.
This review is for families or caregivers who are looking for ways to keep their old ones safe and cared for. And you know the fantastic thing? Technology makes that possible. How? Read up.
5 Best-Selling Smart Home Devices for Seniors
Table of Contents
- 1. Smart Caregiver Wireless Monitor and Motion Sensor
- 2. Wallflower Smart Plugs
- 3. Phillips Hue Smart Bulbs
- 4. Nixplay Smart Photo Frames
- 5. IRobot Roomba i7+ Robot Vacuum Cleaner
- What are Smart Homes?
- How Smart homes can help the elderly
- Benefits of Smart Homes for Seniors
- Take Away
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Smart Home Devices for Seniors
- smart caregiver versatile and economical wireless monitoring
- system comes with 1 economy wireless monitor and 1 motion sensor with swivel bracket for specific area motion sensing. easy to monitor loved ones getting out of bed or leaving the room. can be used above or by doorways or next to bed.
- the monitor uses three "c" batteries and measures 5.25" x 4" x 1". the motion sensor uses three "aa" batteries and measures 3.5" x 3.5" x 1.5". (batteries not included)
- monitor has adjustable volume (hi/lo/med).
- monitor is expandable - can handle up to 6 wireless components.
This motion sensor interfaces with the wireless monitor directly. With this device, you can monitor when a senior leaves the room.
- Quick and easy to set up
- Helps monitor the movement of loved ones
- It can manage about six wireless components
- No embedded reset button
- Numerous false alarms
- No flat battery warning
- 🍳the only smart plug designed for your cooking stove: gives you peace of mind by warning you if the stove has been left on accidentally or has been turned on without you knowing. no monthly fees.
- 🔥🚒protects your family and home: a home fire occurs every 6 seconds, the average fire loss is $35,000 and the leading cause of home fires is cooking stove accidents. can you afford not to have a smart oven?
- 📶 connects any existing electric stove to the internet: monitor your stove from anywhere, anytime using the android or apple app for smartphones and tablets. requires wireless internet at home.
- 👨🚒 safety certified: ul listed & etl certified - rigorously tested for safety and rated for 50 amps.
- 🛠️ easy to install: check behind your electric stove to know which version your need, if your power cord is gray, choose 3-wire. if your power cord is black, choose 4-wire (note that if you have a black cord it is best to unplug your stove to check the plug as a small number 3-wire cords are black). no tools needed for installation.
Smart plugs give seniors better control over their appliances, e.g., turning off the stones when needed.
- Connects electric cooker to the internet
- Quick to install
- Protects your loved ones
- No 3rd party integration
- vintage style: capture the popular look of edison bulbs, featuring a distinct glowing inner coil and transparent globe, with smart filament bulbs these retro-style led smart bulbscombine the look and feel of simple vintage design with the power of philips hue smart lighting.
- lifetime: 22 years or 25, 000 lifetime hours (based on industry average usage)
- previous hue customers: this smart light, while bluetooth compatible, will continue to work with your hue hub and can be seamlessly integrated into your current hue ecosystem. with the hue hub, you can control up to 50 smart lights throughout your home (even outdoor). create timers and routines to automate your entire smart home lighting setup. control your lights while away from home or add accessories such as motion sensors and smart switches to further enhance your experience.
- control lights with your voice: easily connect your philips hue bluetooth vintage smart lights directly with your voice using alexa or google assistant. works with all echo smart speakers/displays and google nest devices, (hue hub required for echo (1st gen) and echo dot (1st gen)). for the full hue experience purchase the philips hue hub (sold separately).
- easy to setup: easy 2-step installation. just screw in your hue bluetooth bulbs and download the hue bluetooth app to connect directly. already have a hue hub? these lights connect to your hue ecosystem through the philips hue app.
They are perfect for old folks as they can be turned on or off with voice commands.
- You can regulate the lights using your voice
- High-quality temperature changing lightbulbs
- Excellent collection of apps
- Plastic remote controls
- gift the top-selling frame and stay connected: share photos and videos from your phone or by email to the nixplay frame, wherever it is; a great gift for new parents, grandparents, newlyweds, college kids or families separated by distance
- share photos and video (up to 15 sec.) privately, safely: send photos and photo playlists to your loved ones' frames and invite others to share pictures to your frame; create a photo-sharing network for your family that's private, secure, and gdpr and ccpa-compliant
- manage the frame using your phone: the nixplay app for ios and android gives you full control over your frame; connect to google photos to ensure your frame is always up to date; dropbox, facebook and instagram also supported from website
- a wall-mountable smart frame that is truly smart: 1280x800 hd ips display auto adjusts to portrait or landscape placement; motion sensor turns the frame on/off automatically; works with amazon alexa, just ask for the playlist you want
- support when you need it: our customer service team is here to help should you have questions about your nixplay smart frame; we have hundreds of thousands of happy customers, and we want to do everything we can to make you happy with your frame
Nixplay Smart Photo Frames allow aged people to view and send images and videos directly from their phones.
- Easy to use and set up
- Great Photo Quality
- No USB port
- Configuring the device isn’t intuitive.
- clean smarter - the 600 series is a great way to begin cleaning your home smarter. just schedule it to clean up daily dirt, dust, and debris with the irobot home app or your voice assistant. - for effortlessly clean floors.
- loosens, lifts, & suctions - the 3 stage cleaning system & dual multi-surface brushes grab dirt from carpets & hard floors, an edge-sweeping brush takes care of corners & edges.
- learns your life listens to your voice - learns your cleaning habits to offer up personalized schedules, while google assistant & alexa allow you to start cleaning with just the sound of your voice.
- adaptive navigation - a full suite of advanced sensors allow roomba to navigate under & around furniture, & along edges. cliff detect keeps it from falling down stairs.
- senses & eliminates dirt - dirt detect sensors alert your robot about dirtier areas of your home, like high-traffic spots, & cleans them more thoroughly.
With this device, you can connect and clean from anywhere. Also, it is specifically created to remove small scraps and large debris from floors.
- Exceptional design
- Great Navigation
- Smart speaker controls
- It makes loud noises
What are Smart Homes?
A smart home is a term used to describe modern home appliances or devices that use the internet and are controlled and managed via a phone app. In a smart home, all the home devices are connected and controlled automatically – when the user is home or away.
The interesting thing about Smart homes is the ability to talk and respond to the needs of the users. An amazing feature, right? It is a wonderful thing to lie on your couch and change TV channels, make calls, and order food.
Smart home technology helps people with special needs and seniors to live comfortably. So if you’re still wondering how your old folks would manage and why they should have one, keep reading…
How Smart homes can help the elderly
Seniors now embrace new solutions as health IT companies now create virtual systems and techniques aimed at assisting older people. There are health-related smart homes that monitor old people’s heart rates, steps, sleep patterns, medications, reminders, room temperature, and more.
These devices are in place to control their daily activities to avoid unnecessary visits to the hospital. That said, below are the benefits of having Smart home technology.
Benefits of Smart Homes for Seniors
1. Increases safety
Smart homes like smart locks increase safety. It saves time and puts an end to key loss. To save time, all you need to do is enter a code.
2. Saves money
Smart home devices, such as thermostats and smart bulbs, save money. Since they can control the temperature, they can save utility bills by reducing the temperature when it gets too high. Just like smart bulbs, it saves electricity bills, since you can automatically turn it on when you’re around and turn it off when you’re away.
3. Increases comfort
With the voice control feature, seniors can now live in comfort and control smart home appliances with just a command. This is an advantage for old folks who are not used to tech, as it makes it easier for them to use the devices. Ability to adjust heating, dim the lights, make calls, play music, or the radio while they relax on the sofa brings comfort that cannot be overemphasized.
They can also make grocery shopping lists by just talking. Also, they can get to play music and watch TV without having to move. Smart home technology makes communication and entertainment easy to experience.
4. Smart home technology can help detect abnormal use of appliances.
Due to fatigue and old age, aged individuals may forget to turn off lights ovens. Smart tech will detect this and send an alert.
5. Health benefits
Smart homes, especially wearables, make it easy to monitor old folk’s health. From the use of smart medicine cabinets and alert bracelets to urgent service alerts, things can only get better. And thanks to the voice control feature, the elderly can get automatic reminders to take essential medications.
6. Motion sensors and alerts
o With motion sensors are in place, you can receive alerts regularly from your old folks. Some motion devices can monitor movements, so when someone suddenly stops moving, you get alerted of a possible fall. Some can detect when your old folks get out of bed, or when they open their smart medicine cabinets. This way, you can rest assured knowing they have taken their medications.
These are exciting times for seniors and a reassuring one at that. Now, they get to live comfortably and safely with smart home technology. In all, there aren’t any limitations to what technology can do. You should also take the time to show them how these devices work, so you can get maximum results.